Palm reading has been practiced for thousands of years. In fact, some of the earliest writings unearthed on clay tablets mention palmistry as an ancient skill, indicating that the art precedes recorded history. Although chiromancy, as it is also known, has evolved through the centuries, it is still based on its original theory that the four major lines of the palm reveal both a person's character and his future.
Some palmists believe that the right hand reveals the character of females and the left predicts her future. The reverse is true for males. Others say that the dominant hand in either sex is the character hand and the non-dominant hand tells what will be. Another theory gaining acceptance is that every individual has deeper creases in one hand than in another. The most deeply creased hand reveals the present and past. The smoother hand, which is harder to read, tells about the future.
Most people go to palm readers with two types of questions; either they want an overview of their future or they want help with making a decision. In either case, the palmist should act responsibly. A seeker will often want to know how much longer they have to live, whether they will find love, wealth, excitement, and happiness. These are all revealed in the palm, but events can never be specifically predicted. A lifeline, for example, can be long or short, robust or faint, but it cannot predict the exact time of a person's death or the exact manner in which he will die.
The same goes for a client who wants advice about a current problem. If, for example, he wants to know whether or not he should take a job in a distant city, the palm reader can look at the character lines. Perhaps he has a heart line that starts at the base of the index finger and continues across the hand in a wavy line. The wavy line means that he has no steady relationship and the fact that the line starts so early on the hand means that he is content to let it stay that way. His heart holds nothing that will keep him in his current location.
Then look at his head line. A deep, long line means that his thinking is clear and focused. If it is separated from the life line, then he craves adventure. Reading further down the palm you see that he has a long, deep, wavy life line. This means that he is full of energy and vitality. From all of the signs, you see that he has the circumstances and character to make such a move successful.
Now, look at his other palm to see if you can determine his future. Multiple crosses through the head line means that he will have some momentous decisions in his life. This may be one of them. A break in his life line indicates a sudden change in life style. Now a look at the fate line becomes important. If the fate line starts joined to the life line and then continues on shallowly, he is a self made man not controlled by fate.
At this point, you will know enough about his character and his future that you can make suggestions, but make sure he knows why you are encouraging one action over another. A basic understanding of Chiromancy will not allow you to fully understand a person nor will it give you a detailed glimpse into his future. Palm reading, however, will show a person's strengths and weaknesses and give him an idea of the general trend that his life will take. Whether you plan to engage in palmistry as a profession or are only going to entertain your friends, make sure they understand the limits of your powers. Their future is in their own hands, not yours.
Here are the four major lines of the palm and the information you need to make a basic assessment:
The Heart Line
• Long – a happy love life. This does not mean a true heart. One may be happy with many lovers.
• Medium – stable but selfish love life
• Short – no interest in love
• Touches the head line – emotion dominates intellect.
• Wavy – the heart is not true. Many lovers.
• Broken line – has had or will have a broken heart.
• Crosses on the line – emotional crises
The Head Line
• Long line – intellectual
• Short line – prefers physical tasks
• Straight line – able to focus on tasks at hand
• Curved or wavy line – creative
• Broken – thinking in inconsistent or impaired
• Joins heart line – decisions are based on emotion
The Life Line
• Long – plenty of energy. Can predict a long life, but may predict and energetic life that can be broken or ended by accident.
• Short and close to the thumb – often tired. Can predict a short life but may also predict a long, sick life.
• Break – sudden change of circumstances.
The Fate Line
• Deep and long. - controlled by fate
• Crosses life line – future is self determined
• Circles base of thumb – strong family support for decisions. Often an indication of a successful life.